Honor Killing, the very term makes anyone thrill, if he/she really understands what kind of atrocious act this is! What to tell of
the people who get indulged in such heinous crime and never even think once about its consequence! When we refer to honor killing in particular, it demonstrates the homicide of a member of a family or community by other members, owing to the conviction of the executors that the victim has humiliated the family or community rules and regulations. Basically, the women and girls suffer the most from this social nuisance. Though honor killing is pointed as “rarest of the rare case” by the honorable Supreme Court of India, yet thousands of girls and women are killed every year in our country in the name of ‘honor’.
Honor Killing might cause because of any one of the below given social or communal rationales.
- Dressing in a way offensive to the family or community.
- Desiring to end or avoid an arranged marriage.
- Wishing to marry by own choice, particularly to a member of a social group considered inapt.
- Indulging in heterosexual acts outside marriage.
- Indulging in homosexual acts.
HRW (Human Rights Watch), A global non-governmental association which carries out research and support on human rights defines ‘Honor Killing’ in the following way.
However, when honor killing winks as a major criminal offense in the society, certain steps are needed to be taken to suppress those. Herewith, we can assign you some of the following preventive measures that can be taken to suppress this epidemic.
Step to prevent Honor Killing
- First of all, we have to change the mentality of the people on this superstitious belief and have to let them understand the definite sense of ‘honor’.
- Article 21 of the Indian constitution considers honor killing an infringement to law and hence there must be some major amendments in IPC, Evidence Act and HMA so that strict laws can be enforced on the offenders indulging in the offense.
- There is a need of functional unity of the government, international community, the NGO’s and local community on the issue.
- As a major step, women must be given a higher position of legal authority and must get authorized to speak out on these issues.
By executing these said protective measures, we can create a huge sensation
to bring this social evil to an end. Rather, a bring-together effort is shouted from all.